Hot Cross Buns are an Easter tradition and we asked Australian dietitian Rebecca Gawthorne from @nourish_naturally if she could create a vegan and free from recipe just for NOMO.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS I COOK TIME: 20 MINS + RAISING 1½ HRS I MAKES: 12 BUNS
- 1 ½ cups rice milk
- 4 tbsp dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp active dried yeast
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour* + 1/3 cup to roll dough
- ¼ cup golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 7x NOMO 38g Creamy Chocolate Bars
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tbsp cacao 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp water NOTE *To make these gluten-free, simply substitute the all-purpose flour for all-purpose gluten-free flour
1. Place rice milk and dairy-free spread into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until spread is melted.
2. Set aside to cool for 2-3 minutes then stir in yeast.
3. In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, spices and salt. Whisk to combine then make a well in the centre. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon then transfer to a floured surface and knead with your hands, working back and forth until the dough is soft and elastic (about 5 minutes). If the dough is too sticky, add extra flour. Form into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
4. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
5. When the dough has doubled in size, remove the cover and punch down the dough to deflate it. Place the dough onto a floured work surface. Chop NOMO 38g Creamy Chocolate Bars into small pieces and gently knead into the dough. Then shape into a long cylinder, then cut into 12 even pieces. Flatten and deflate each piece by pressing them, then shape each into a ball and place in rows on your baking tray, leaving about 2 cm between each. Cover the tray with lightly-oiled plastic wrap and set aside to rise for 45 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a small mixing bowl, whisk flour and cacao together, then mix in water. Using a piping bag, pipe crosses on top of the buns. Place the tray on the centre rack of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
7. In a small bowl, whisk jam and water. Remove from the oven and glaze the buns with the jam. Serve and enjoy!
NOMO Products Used:
Credit: Rebecca Gawthorne 2023, @nourish_naturally
NOMO is proud to support those living free-from and vegan lives, and so there’s a recipe for everyone here! We all have different requirements, so please do double-check the ingredients to ensure that they are appropriate for you. For any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to see what you create!