Anthea's Hot Cross Cookies
We adore this Hot Cross Cookie recipe created especially for NOMO by the very talented Aussie creator Anthea Cheng from @rainbownourishments. Why not give her recipe a go and whip up a batch for Easter?
PREP TIME: 40 MINS I COOK TIME: 14 MINS I MAKES: 18 COOKIE SANDWICHES.
- 2 ¼ cups (280g) flour
- ¾ cup (170g) vegan block butter, room temperature*
- ¾ cup (75g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon,
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 70g NOMO Creamy Chocolate very finely chopped
- GANACHE FILLING
- 1/3 cup (85g) dairy-free milk
- 250g NOMO Creamy Chocolate finely chopped
- ¾ cup (75g) icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp dairy-free milk
NOTES * You may use spreadable vegan butter but make sure it’s chilled. I recommend omitting the milk and adding more flour to the dough for the right consistency, if needed
1. Add all the cookie ingredients, except the NOMO Creamy Chocolate, to a food processor or large mixing bowl. Mix until just combined. If the cookie dough is too sticky or dry, add more flour or milk as needed.
2. Add the NOMO Creamy Chocolate chunks and mix until combined.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the cookie dough to about 5mm thick. Use a 6cm cookie cutter to cut cookies out of the dough.
5. Collect the excess dough, re-roll and repeat. Arrange the cookies on your baking trays. 6. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on their baking trays.
MAKE THE GANACHE FILLING
1. Heat the milk on the stovetop or in the microwave until very hot.
2. Pour the milk over the NOMO Creamy Chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes to soften the chocolate.
3. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Refrigerate the ganache until it has thickened to a spreadable consistency.
MAKE THE CROSS
1. Add the icing ingredients to a bowl and mix until it forms a thick paste. If needed, add a little more sugar or milk to get the icing to a pipeable consistency.
ASSEMBLE THE COOKIES
1. Pipe or spread the ganache on half of the cookies. Sandwich with the remaining cookies.
2. Add the cross icing to a piping bag and pipe crosses on the cookies as desired. Allow the icing to dry at room temperature for around 1 hour.
3. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
TIP – You can also use melted NOMO Creamy Chocolate for the cross instead of the icing
NOMO Products Used:
Credit: Anthea Cheng 2023, @rainbownourishments.
NOMO is proud to support those living free-from and vegan lives, and so there’s a recipe for everyone here! We all have different requirements, so please do double-check the ingredients to ensure that they are appropriate for you. For any queries please contact us at email@example.com. We can’t wait to see what you create!