Rosie's Hazelnot Showstopper
To celebrate the launch of the new NOMO Hazelnot Smooth Choc Bar, we asked our friend, and former Bake Off Semi Finalist Rosie Brandreth, to create a delicious nut free and vegan cake recipe for us. Rosie is also a passionate nut allergy advocate and so this recipe is suitable for people with nut allergies.
If you would like to find out more about Rosie and her delicious Free From recipes, head over to her instagram page or check our her website. As well as being a star baker, Rosie is also a Vet (talk about talented!) and has a gorgeous dog called Ralph who also loves to bake!
You can find Hazelnot Smooth in selected Sainsbury's stores or online
For the cake:
- 300ml oat milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 150g margarine
- 280g caster sugar
- 280g self raising gluten free flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- For the buttercream:
- 400g icing sugar
- 300g margarine
- 2 Nomo Hazelnot bars (melted)
- 30g cocoa powder
- Left over buttercream (with additional 20g dark cocoa for contrast)
- 2 Hazelnot smooth bars
- NOMO dark chocolate to melt and make shards
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Mix the oat milk and vinegar in a small bowl, set aside to separate slightly
- Beat together the sugar, margarine and vanilla
- Add the flour, bicarb and cocoa and mix well
- Stir in the milk mix
- Bake for 30 minutes if using sandwich tins (3 x 6 inch or 2 x 7 inch) or about 45 minutes if making one large cake. Once baked a skewer inserted into the middle will come out clean
- Cool completely on a wire rack before decorating
- Make the buttercream by beating the icing sugar and margarine together, add the cocoa and melted Hazelnot smooth bars, if you are transporting the cake and want a firmer set buttercream, add an extra chocolate bar!
- Add extra cocoa to any leftover buttercream for contrast and decorate with more chocolate!
Credit: Rosie Brandreth 2021
NOMO is proud to support those living free-from and vegan lives, and so there’s a recipe for everyone here! We all have different requirements, so please do double-check the ingredients to ensure that they are appropriate for you. For any queries please contact us at @Hello@NOMOChoc.com. We can’t wait to see what you create!